2017 has come to an end and before the clock strikes 12, I’m going to reflect on what were my highs and lows of 2017 and what I’m looking forward to in 2018.
In February, I was able to fly to Los Angeles to attend a pre-Grammy concert featuring two-time Grammy nominated, Anderson .Paak and his band, The Free Nationals. It was such a proud moment to see an artist that I’ve known personally go from being an amateur musician on youtube, owning every mixtape of his and being one of the most popular/standout artists in 2016-2017. Even though he didn’t take home any awards that night, Anderson .Paak has been such a standout artist and is gaining new fans everyday. Don’t sleep on this guy!
Back in June, I was fortunate to be able to travel to Orlando and attend my first BlogHer conference! It was such an amazing experience to meet thousands of other bloggers with different ethnicities and backgrounds who were there for the same reason as I! The food, the atmosphere, the resort, everything was so enjoyable and I look forward to attending next year!
Seeing the Queen of Pop
No, I’m not talking about Madonna (rolls eyes), I’m referring to THE Janet Jackson! When Miss Jackson comes to your city, you must show up (trust me, she’s worth the travel)! I attended her rescheduled State of the World (SOTW) tour in Columbus, OH and she did not disappoint! When she started her set with her jam, ‘The Knowledge’ from her Rhythm Nation album, I KNEW I was in for a very dope concert! From the first song to the final encore, that 51-year-old was nonstop dancing and singing, while keeping the crowd entertained as if she were 19 again! Easily the best concert of 2017 and I’m so lucky to say that I’ve witnessed it!
Getting a promotion
I wasn’t expecting to stick around at the company that I’m currently working for but I made it! After working only 8 months in my previous position, I was offered a new position that allowed me to make a bit more money and to work a better schedule. I’m so grateful for the opportunity and this is a step
Paying off my car
- It only took a year and a few months but I made it happen! This was such a huge accomplishment for me because this is the first thing that I can call my own. One of the many steps to becoming more independent!
The Cincinnati Music Festival
- This one is both high/low and here’s why. First, I went out on a limb and decided to contact the person in charge of media credentials and see if I were to obtain a press pass (the worst they could say was “No,” right? I was shocked when they emailed me back and gave me permission to receive a media pass to one of the biggest music festivals held in Cincinnati! I wasn’t expecting them to grant me a pass, I didn’t even think about my full-time job and how I was going to basically get out of going to working my scheduled shift. This was an opportunity that I couldn’t pass up (or so I thought). I eventually pulled some strings and I was able to attend the two-day festival.
- The atmosphere was great. I was surrounded by bloggers, photographers, and journalists who were there for the same reason as me. But, the experience in itself was a huge letdown. Working in the press box was tricky due to the fact that we were placed in the back of the stage, photographers were only allowed on the field for the first 3 songs with no good shots and very little freedom to put our “media pass” to work. Though it may seem like I am complaining, I very much appreciate the opportunity and I’ve even wrote some tips on what I should do if I decide to attend next year’s festival:
- Invest in better camera lenses
- Blend in (everyone is there for the same reason)
- Hope and wish I were taller (just kidding, lol)
- Work with what you have.
Some Highs and Lows of My 2017
- Missing out on good music
- Neglecting my passions
- The abandonment of my blog
These four above always get the best of me. I found myself missing out on so much due to my laziness and feeling creative. In my mind
What I want for 2018:
- Confidence in my craft
- Personal/Professional Relationships/ Networking
- Travel more
- Invest in my dreams
- Read more books!
All five of these are so important to me. I honestly have no clue what will happen in 2018. I just want to live a happy, prosperous life and make my dreams come true. No more wishing, JUST DO IT!
So long 2017! A brand new year awaits me!